Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Geth Engineer: 200 Waves Edition

Hello everyone and welcome to yet another Mass Effect 3 character guide. No offense, but I've been noticing a lot of poorly played Geth Engineers out there lately (along with the Vader Juggies) so I thought it pertinent to post this guide for the benefit of the public. The Geth Engie is on of my favorite Engineers, next to the QME, so I've spent a decent amount of time playing this character. I don't consider myself an expert, though, as I don't have a degree in engineering.

As you know, Hunter Mode got nerfed a while back because of the GI, making the GE a less rewarding character. Some people say it's dead with the GI, Trooper, and Juggie besting it in virtually every aspect. They have a point, but I don't think that necessarily makes the GE a throwaway. I do consider it to be one of those "collateral damage characters", along with the Havoc. Sad to say, but that's balance for you.

Geth Engineer
Geth Turret: 3
Hunter Mode: 4-weapon accuracy, 5-power damage, 6-speed & vision
Overload: 4-damage, 5-neural shock, 6-shield damage
Networked AI: 4-damage & capacity, 5-power damage, 6-weapon damage
Advanced Hardware: 4-durability, 5-shield recharge

So this is the build I've been using lately, since I got my Lancer X, which I really like on this character. The Saber works well, too. Both benefit largely from the HM weapon accuracy bonus. The Lancer, a caster's assault rifle, does have a fair amount of kick but it's really quite manageable save for long range. I use the magazine upgrade because you do not want this thing to overheat, because the cooldown takes forever and this is partially a weapon build. On Platinum, you'll want to bring an Acolyte just to help with boss shields, since Overload isn't enough (which is sad).

If you lack a decently leveled Lancer, another (popular?) choice is the Geth Plasma Rifle. I know it's kind of weak, especially against armor, but it's accurate and has low recoil. Add in a 300% damage bonus for headshots and you've got a serviceable anti-infantry weapon. It has good synergy with Overload too, but don't expect to get into a serious platinum lobby with it. The Geth Plasma Shotgun, on the other hand, is a solid alternative. Take the rate of fire bonus for it.

You can use pretty much any ammo type on the Lancer since it's an assault rifle - it does pretty good damage against all defense types, except armor, which is why I bring a piercing mod. The high caliber barrel is a good choice too, if you're not facing an armor-heavy faction, or if you compensate with AP ammo. Elemental ammo is good for adding tech combos to your offensive strategy.

For gear, I'd take an assault rifle amp because the bulk of your damage comes from your weapon. If you bring the Acolyte then take the Combatatives Upgrade.

Geth Turret: I only put 3 ranks into this because on higher difficulties, the damage becomes pitiful and the shield regeneration can't keep up. But at least it can restore your shield gate and negate DoT (Banshee Warp, etc.), which is crucial for the squishy GE.

Hunter Mode: This is what makes the GE the best candidate for a weapon-based engineer. The accuracy bonus is vital for many weapons. You can take the rate of fire bonus if necessary, but I take a little more power damage. Then I highly recommend speed & vision since they increase both your offensive and defensive potential. And 10% damage is a bit lackluster.

Overload: This, of course, is for dealing with shielded foes (but mostly Phantoms). If I recall correctly, this build can one-shot Gold Phantom barriers without any gear/equipment. So that's a boon. Then I take neural shock to knock down individual mooks, especially abominations. Even the non-posessed ones can be fatal if they catch you with your shields down.

Networked AI: You really need that extra power damage, 40% in all, to buff up your Overload. The ability to instantly strip the shields from most enemies is invaluable. Then go for the extra weapon damage.

Advanced Hardware: I take all the shield recharge bonuses because it really makes quite a difference, especially on higher difficulties. The GE is kinda squishy, so you're often relying on shield gate to survive. The faster you get your shield gate back, the better off you are.

-Grun7mas7er

No comments:

Post a Comment